Monday, April 16, 2007

Steve Heifner Testimony

Steve Heifner was living in Alexandria when he and friends heard about "Gerry's". Driven by curiosity that was fueled by the wooing of the Holy Spirit, Steve, along with his friends visited Gerry's. Steve's testimony is typically of thousands of young people from the drug/hippie culture who were impacted by the Jesus Movement - Editor

On New Years day 1972 six of my buddies were gathered together after a late celebration the night before. We were hanging out at the bowling alley in Alexandria, Indiana looking for something to do. We were dropping pills, mescaline, if I remember correctly. Someone mentioned this “Jesus House” in Anderson. They said that a large group of young people were meeting at a house called “Gerry’s Place” every night, singing songs and talking about Jesus. We had heard of it and we were curious. With nothing else to do, we were on our way to check this place out.
When we arrived, Myrtle, Gerry’s mother greeted us. She informed us that everyone had been up late the night before for the New Year so everyone was already gone for the night. But she invited us to visit a house where a group of these “Jesus Freaks” were hanging out that night.
Little did we know that Myrtle had called ahead so they would be prepared to minister to us. By the time we arrived, it was a past 9:00 pm. They were together in the living room singing songs, praying, and reading from the Bible. We were welcomed and invited to sit in and listen.
I felt comfortable because every one looked just like me: long hair, same age as me, the holes and patches on our jeans. But something was different; they all had smiles on their faces as they sang and prayed. They read the scripture with an understanding I did not have. They shared a love I did not know. Later on that evening, they asked if they could pray for me.
I don’t know exactly what happened but it did not take long before the Holy Spirit was speaking to me. My heart began to ache. I felt guilt for not following my early beliefs in my Christian faith. I asked for forgiveness and strength.
I had been raised in a small Disciples of Christ church across the street from my grandparent’s house. My parents were married in the church. On a Sunday before Easter, probably 1964, I went forward and made my public confession that I accepted Jesus as my savior in front of the congregation. I was 12 years old then. I was baptized there in the church as an act of my faith in Jesus. However, within a few years I wandered away not pursuing my faith and I just became a churchgoer to appease my parents.
Now that I was eighteen and half I was facing my convictions as the Holy Spirit was clearly speaking to me through these Jesus People. Like a miracle, the effects of the pills were lifted and I felt the presence of God in that room. I begin to ask questions. I don’t remember what they were but I do know I was impressed with the answers and the love these “Jesus Freaks” were giving me. I stayed up late again that night not wanting to lose this presence of God I was feeling.
The next morning woke up knowing that something had happened. I still felt the presence of God. I could not wait to go back that night to spend more time with my new friends. I don’t remember if my old buddies felt the same as I did but a couple came along with me to spend that next evening at “Gerry’s Place.” I was there, not just physically, but in spirit with an open mind. I met the other brothers and sisters who made the same decision that I had. God was speaking to them through his Holy Spirit.
Gerry Street and his mother were kind enough to open their house every night for almost two years giving people a place to meet God and grow in His love. Gerry made an impression upon me as he sat for hours singing his own songs of love and Jesus. He would read from the Bible and share his message of love as others would read along, take notes and sing with Gerry as he sang. But it was not his voice or his artistic guitar playing that affected us so. It was not that Gerry was a great speaker because he was just average. It was simply Gerry's desire to share God's love with us and anyone who came into his home.
One night after meeting with this group every evening for several days, it was late and I was ready to go home. A small group of about ten of us we were praying in a circle with our arms around one another. The presence of God was strong and something was happening. It felt as though someone taken the top of my head off and was pouring warm water down inside of my body. At this moment, I fell to the floor feeling this warmth surging through my body. I wasn’t exactly sure what was going on but I knew it was God ministering to my spirit, soul, and body. When I awoke from my stupor, I noticed that others had experienced the same thing. We laughed and rejoiced together knowing that God had touched with his healing hand. We felt such peace and joy.
The next day was different. How? At first, I could not have told you. All I knew the grass was greener, the sky was so much bluer, and I knew something had happened. Later that day I noticed my reading of the Bible had a power to it I had never felt before. It was as though the words were just jumping off the page. I felt as though I had been empowered with a deeper understanding of the scripture. Later I came to understand I had received the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
I continued my commitment as I attended every meeting. We were like young birds waiting to be fed by the Holy Spirit. Every night something new would happen, a new revelation, a new song, a new visitor, or a new believer would join us. We were not aware that we were a part of a movement of the Holy Spirit until years later.
Gerry taught us to be lead by the Spirit. Every meeting would flow in spontaneity. If Gerry had planned every meeting I am sure he would have failed to hold our attention, instead he trusted that God would meet with us and He did. Our times of song and worship were like a symphony with the Holy Spirit as the conductor.
One night during our worship and singing, I remember praising God with words of English repeatedly until suddenly this language came from my gut spurting out of my mouth. I did not know what I was saying but I knew it was from God. Later on, it was explained to me through scripture that I was speaking in tongues. That gift has never left me. Today, anytime I release my spirit in private prayer, I find myself worshiping God in tongues.
From that point on, my relationship with God has grown so much. Doctrines have come and gone, brothers and sisters have come and gone but the Holy Spirits work in my life continues to this very day. I am blessed. I praise Jesus for all that he has given me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I very much appreciated Steve Heifner's testimony of God's working in his life after he met Jerry Street, and his mother, Myrtle. It reminds me of many other such testimonies, and I remember Jerry fondly speaking of Steve Heifner many times, as he would describe him and many others who had passed through the doors and ministry there on 53rd St., in Anderson. God bless you Steve, and may His love become richer and deeper in your life, enabling you to be a true reflection of Himself.

Dale Brown said...

I am amazed to see this site. I went to Jerry's Place for several years, probably late '72-74. I use to sing there just about every night. I was raised in the organized church, but for many reasons had strayed away. That led me straight to Jerrys. Doug Melton, Randy melson and myself formed a musical group based out of Jerry's. A group called "Kingdom". Something I will never forget. God used the kids. We weren't perfect, many smoked, had long hair, etc., but God did something in us that just could not be taken away. Today, some 35 years later I am in full time music concert ministry. The long hair is gone (in fact most of my hair is gone) but the Spirit of the Lord remains as strong as ever
I may not be rich in gold, but I am
positive and secure in His will. Thank you for bringing back some great memories. Dale Brown

Anonymous said...

This was nice to reflect on the wonderful times we had at Jerry's. I remember one time hitchhiking to Jerry's from Muncie and Dale Brown picked me up and was heading there as well. That was the first time I heard Dale sing and I was amazed. I actually have some cassette tapes of meetings at Jerry's and there is at least one with Dale singing. Thanks Mike for this Blog. David L Resler (Elijah)

Jamie D Merrill said...

Its so nice to see this site. Jerry was my father who I last saw when I was 6 years old. My family kept everything about Jerry so secret that I didn't even know he had died until 5 years later.

Jamie D. (Street) Merrill
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jamie.d.merrill

Dale Brown said...

David Resler, thank you for such kind comments. One very cool thing about Jerry’s Place was that it was not about us. It was all about Jesus. It is amazing how so many prophecies from Jerry’s have come to pass. God used us - all of us! Thanks for that memory and I would love to hear that cassette sometime.
Jamie Merrill, I am so sorry your family saw fit to keep Jerry out of your life. I don’t know what life was like in his family but I do know that to me Jerry was a very good man, a spirit filled man who wrote some wonderful songs, gave some great messages and as far as I know he lived it!! I do know that many of the kids that went to Jerry’s went on to become pastors, youth leaders & associates. Some have been missionaries to other countries, some helped work the streets in some of our big cities. Jerry Street is a name I will never forget as long as I live! He taught some powerful powerful things and not all were correct. I do know that he felt like he was sending out a message that God wanted him to send and he accomplished that task. That message was the love of Christ in our hearts - the rest is just theology.

Dan K. said...

Although the "Jesus Movement" faded out around 1975,
it did not really go away as so many of the people who
were involved in the Jesus Movement continued to serve
God in other ways. Many became preachers and ministers
in other churches, many started up their own ministries
and many just continued to live a good Christian life
and shared the Gospel as the Lord led them. Recently,
in 2015, I wrote a book about the Jesus Movement in
Seattle, Washington and how the Lord led me in the
subsequent years. It is called "Flower Power to Jesus
Power" and is available on Amazon.com, Barnesandnoble.com,
Walmart.com and through many other venues. You can also
visit my web site: http://jesus-movement.org/
God bless.

Dale Brown said...

Very cool Dan!! I saw the book on Amazon & am anxious to get my copy. So many great things happened through that movement and so many lives changed!! Praise God! He is so wise!